Preventing Domestic Violence
What Can Each of Us Do To Prevent Domestic Violence?
- Call the police if you see or hear evidence of domestic violence.
- Speak out publicly against domestic violence.
- Take action personally against domestic violence when a neighbor, a co-worker, a friend, or a family member is involved or being abused.
- Encourage your neighborhood watch or block association to become as concerned with watching out for domestic violence as with burglaries and other crimes.
- Reach out to support someone whom you believe is a victim of domestic violence and/or talk with a person you believe is being abusive.
- Help others become informed, by inviting speakers to your church, professional organization, civic group, or workplace.
- Support domestic violence counseling programs and shelters.
Adapted from: "Preventing Domestic Violence" by Laura Crites in Prevention Communique, March 1992, Crime Prevention Division, Department of the Attorney General, Hawaii.