HELPING SEXUAL ASSAULT VICTIMS
If someone you know has been sexually assaulted, abused or harassed, here’s how to help:
- Ask the person – “How may I help?” Let them determine next steps.
- If the person wants to talk, listen. But, if the person doesn’t want to talk, honor that.
- If you are uncomfortable listening, help the person find someone who can listen. Center staff are available 24/7 at 1-800-559-7233.
- Don’t second guess or judge their behavior.
- Don’t ask why it happened or ask about specific details.
- If the incident was very recent, suggest that they go to the hospital for a forensic exam.
- Offer to drive them to the hospital, The Center, or the police station.
- Offer to help install new locks or find another place to live if there are safety issues.
- Pay attention to your own feelings. If you find that it would be helpful for you to speak with Center staff, services are available for you also.